June 7, 2009

Lately!

Thought I would write a bit while Julia takes a nap! So it has really been pressed upon my heart to really be spending quality time with Julia. I work fulltime and I hate that I am away from her so much! I came across this article about spending quality time with you kids and I thought I would share it! I see parents constantly buying buying buying for their kids and doing all kinds of lavish things for them and I think to myself, is that really whats important? Its very hard for me to go to the store and not buy something for Julia, but I have to tell myself everytime, is this something she really needs? I dont want her to grow up and think everytime we go to the store mommy buys me something! I had a friend who's little girl would ask her everytime she got back from the store "What did you buy me mommy?" I definitely dont want that for Julia:)





Spending Quality Time with Your Child

The Most Precious Gift to Give our Children by Lee-Anne Robert


As a proud mother of a two-year old daughter and an eleven month old son, I already see them growing too quickly before my eyes. It makes me wonder if I am being the best parent that I can be and if I will have regrets after they have grown up of what I did and didn’t do as a parent. And I ask myself, “What is simply the best gift to give my children?”
Could it be the new trend in toys or clothes? Could it be the candy or the chocolate bar that will make them delighted and happy? Is this what children really want or need?
In a rush, rush world and one where both parents must contribute to household expenses, parents are more apt to give their children material objects instead of the single most important gift that all children want, need and crave. It’s no wonder that children are becoming so material orientated at such young ages. It’s no wonder that a child’s most used saying is “I want.”
And do we not sometimes treat our children as material objects? Just as a child plays with a toy for a few minutes and then tosses the toy to the side, we as parents often treat our children the same way.
So what is the most precious gift to give our children? The answer lies within the following quote:
“We are always too busy for our children; we never give them the time or interest they deserve. We lavish gifts upon them; but the most precious gift, our personal association, which means so much to them, we give grudgingly.” Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Our “TIME” is the single most important gift to give our children!
Give your child the gift of time and truly learn about your child. Toys, clothes and chocolate bars can be replaced, but your time can never be replaced. Spend time with your child everyday and you will see the pleasure they derive from your quality attention. Children grow up too quickly so enjoy them, get to know them and don’t be a parent who has regrets after your children have grown up.

Stop playing serious and seriously play!

1 comment:

Campbell Family said...

Thank you for sharng that article! It is so true, i know i thank the lord every night that I am one of the lucky ones who get to stay home with my children; but to often I see parents who wont sacrafice their time for their child. Every minute is special and as parents we have to remeber that!